Before I dove in full-force to the low-carb lifestyle, I’d eat crappy food often but still make carb-conscious decisions.
One of the first sacrifices I made towards better health was reducing empty carbs from fast food meals.
My preferred go-to spot is Wendy’s, and I’d often get a burger with a side of chili and unsweetened iced tea. I’d reduce the carb count even further by throwing out half a bun, eating the sandwich open-faced.
Baby steps, my friend, baby steps.
Fast forward to today, and part of the reason I love the ketogenic lifestyle is the ability to eat fatty ground beef.
One of the tastiest incarnations of this ingredient is bunless burgers with a variety of toppings.
Bunless Burgers with AvocadoCourse: Cooking, Recipes, DinnerCuisine: American
Burgers without the bun are the perfect fast dinner when you’re eating low-carb. Top them however you like, but this is currently my favorite way to serve – topped with mayonnaise/hot sauce, sautéed onions, and avocado!
1 lb 80/20 Ground Beef (455 g)
4 tbsp Mayo (60 g)
2 tbsp Hot Sauce (30 g)
2 Avocados (400 g)
½ large Onion (175 g)
- Form the ground beef into 4 patties
- Put a large saute pan on medium high heat
- Place the patties in to brown for 3-4 minutes each side
- While the burgers cook, dice the onion and mix together the mayo/hot sauce in a small bowl
- Remove the burgers, and cook the onions in the rendered beef fat for 5-10 minutes
- Serve the burgers with a spoonful of the hot mayo, onions and sliced avocado
TIP: Don’t enjoy salads? Put a handful of spinach on the burgers!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories569
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 22g 44%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.