This will be the first test of many where I eat a specific type of food and then measure my blood glucose after 1-hr and 2-hrs.
Here’s how I’m attempting to limit the variables:
- Measure baseline glucose about 10AM
- No food for 12-15 hours before
- No morning exercise (and limit previous day)
- Allowed to drink 1 coffee and about 30 oz. of water (part of my morning routine)
- Eat 300 calories of one specific food
- Measure blood glucose after 1-hour
- Measure blood glucose after 2-hour
The main thing I’m looking for at the moment is my blood sugar response to various types of food, and see how the macro-nutrient composition affects my body.
I can also test with the same food and alter the amount – for instance having 600 calories or 100 calories instead of 300 calories.
You can look at glycemic index and glycemic load charts, but there appears to be a large genetic comoponent to how our body processes foods.
Eventually I may comment on the results, but at this point I’m at the information gathering stage!
Without further adieu, here are my results from the first test:
- Date: 8/25/2016
- Food: Fiorucci Uncured Hard Salame
- Fast: ~12 hours
- Base Blood Sugar: 82 mg/dL
- 1-Hour Response: 88 mg/dL
- 2 Hour Response: 86 mg/dL